09 June 2014

Those silent months, in summary

Since it's been quite a few months between posts, I figured I'd take this post and babble about some of the things I've been up to, and give you a few mini reviews of my recently read books. 

~*~

Back in January, and again in March, I had the pleasure of attending showings for the Donmar Warehouse's 'Coriolanus' thanks to National Theater Live's worldwide broadcast.  Not only did this allow me to see a fantastic adaptation of a Shakespeare play performed in London, and meet fellow Shakespeare fans, it also gave me the opportunity to fangirl over the acting abilities of Mark Gatiss, Hadley Fraser, and Tom Hiddleston. :3 

Then, at the end of March, I got to enjoy the exhausting, box filled, process of moving into a new apartment.  So many boxes of books to haul up a flight of stairs. XP I can honestly say that moving I'd the only time I hate having as prolific a reading habit as I do.

Also during the past few months I've been able to attend book signings for Brandon Sanderson, Laini Taylor, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, Alice Clayton, Ruthie Knox, Monica Murphy, Tiffany Reisz, and Andrew Shaffer.

Now that we're all caught up on the mundane happenings of my life, onto some mini book reviews!

~*~


I picked this one up at the dollar store while visiting my mum, because I'd already finished the book I took down with me, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.  The first 75, or so, pages dragged a bit, and almost had me putting the book aside; but once I made it through the world building/stage setting the pace picked up, and the story became more engrossing and enjoyable.


Norse mythology, and two of my favorite authors, together in one book?  Sign me up!

I adored this book and its romp through a present day world populated with reincarnated gods.  Fast paced with the well balanced characters and plot I've come to expect from both Marr and Armstrong, this was a fantastic introduction to a new MG series.


I was completely predisposed to loving this book, being that I'm a former writer, though still a reader, of slash fanfiction, and a self admitted fangirl.  That being said, this novel was a fantastic blend of laugh out loud humor and the gut wrenching struggle to find yourself amidst the often times frightening world of adulthood.

~*~

Come Wednesday I'll be talking current projects, and how I approach the nerve wracking blank page of first drafts.

<3 Lacie J

No comments:

Post a Comment